Get Trekking Tips, News and Trek Details Delivered Every Week
A comprehensive guidance for trekkers
Trekup India is pleased to bring Comprehensive guidance for trekkers by Nanda Rawat, It became necessary to come up with such a subject keeping in mind all arising questionnaires of a beginners trekker, at the same time helpful for experienced trekkers.
It gives you complete insight from how to choose the right trek operator, right trek, preparation, Do and Don’t, essential gears, safety, good trekkers and much more, overall its filled with all the information that one trekker should know or should have.
Trekup India simply advice all trekkers to follow the rules and take the best out of your Adventure.
1. How to pick your travel / trekking agency
- Today being in world of internet and network, one have everything handy, easy, fast, hence do some research about the agencies, keeping following points in mind:-
- Is the agency DMC (Destination Management Company) i.e. are they locals of the region?
- Are they registered with the National / state govt. bodies / Board, E.g – Tourism Bodies, Registered under Indian Registrar or Indian Companies, Firm Act.
- Do they have affiliations like ATOAI, IMF Or from Stare tourism Bodies.
- Do they have active GST
Above are some basic important facts to double ensure your trust, one can check their feedback, social media handle, and website etc…
2. Choose your trek product wisely
- Self ensure your awareness about the itinerary, region, grade, and do your own research.
- Look at your budget and book accordingly
- Carefully check Inclusion / exclusion, make sure services promised is mentioned in invoice
- Clarify all your doubts and queries about the services, standards etc. before booking
3. Book and Check your connectivity about flights & trains to the destination
- It’s always advisable to book your connection first rather than your trip.
- The Earlier you book the flight, the better you get the fare & early you book the train the better you get the seat.
4. Should you negotiate hard?
- We might belong to the same culture, we want Cheap & Best! So one has to understand:
- Negotiating hard means cutting on your services and this reflects during the trip.
- Make a simple calculation and then approach for appropriate negotiation.
5. Prepare yourself before going on a trek
- Start walking & enjoying the exercises you like: This would sound like an obvious step, but you might be surprised to hear that many of today’s trekkers don’t. Therefore it is advisable to start taking some long walk not only walk enjoy the sports or exercise you like such a cycling, dancing, swimming, gym, make your leg muscle stronger for walk, whenever you start give a day break so that your body recovers, this way your body get fitter and healthier for the trek, as well this will build your stamina and when on trek your body will find it an easy task.
- Click here to check: Fitness For Trekking On High Altitude Himalayan Treks
- Right Nutrition and Energy for your Body: While on trek your body is going to consume lots of energy, so make sure you have a proper diet; your body is well prepared and highly energized for the trek.
- Click here to check: Food Provided On Trek
- Knowing your trek grade: This is a very important aspect to understand your trek grade, it’s normally mentioned in your trekking itinerary, so that you know how easy or challenging your trek is and what level of training you need to complete your trek
- Click here to check: How To Get Fit For Himalyan High Altitude Treks
- Stop it today: If you are habitual of smoking / drinking alcohol, stop it right from today as it badly dehydrates your body and for the treks you need your body to well and each time hydrated instead make a habit of drinking plenty of water.
6. Packing for your trek
What you should pack totally depends on how long you are heading out or duration of your trek and at the same time your comfortability with being minimalistic for the duration. As per our experience everything you carry should fit into a single backpack.
For your promptness we have prepared an essential packs list please click here.. Things To Carry For A Trek
7. Paperwork and Documents
Ensure to prepare one separate folder for your important documents that you need.
- Govt. Identity Proof with photo copy
- Medical Certificates (As per trek grade requirement)
- f you are on medication Doctors prescription
- Any other documents requested by your operator
8. Personal Medication & First Aid
Most of the time trekkers are in miss conceptions about First Aid and Medicine, I highly recommend and suggest each individual carry their own personal First Aid Box with some basic medicine and do not forget to carry your daily usage medicine if any.
Definitely, each trekkers company provides First Aid, however it’s limited, so you cannot fully depend, for example in a group of 15 members your trek guide is carrying 3-4 Crepe Bandages and if 5-6 or more members have muscle injury? Therefore your personal first aid is important and you don’t have to depend on it. Get advice from your doctor before taking any medicine.
You May find the basic list in our packing list, click here:……… Things To Carry For A Trek
You May also check our safety guidelines, click here: …….. Safety During A Trek
9. What should you “DO” on a trek?
- Be a great listener: Dedicatedly follow all instructions of your Trek Leaders.
- Respecting Nature: There is a saying “Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints” and don’t spoil nature’s tranquility.
- Be Responsible trekker: Never be a spoilsport & don’t dare to be adventurous nor challenge yourself to new levels of risk “Avoid putting yourself in risk”.
- Expect the unexpected: Prepare your mind that you are in an Adventure, expect all unlikely situations to arise, basic human errors, natural turbulence and some of the plans turns.
- Push yourself, your sleep & Fitness to extra miles: to experience never before sunrise, starry skies, hooting owls and our personal favorite sound of silence. Things are some little things that you will not find back in your cities, take the best out of your adventure.
- Step out of your comfort zone:As mentioned above, be ready for every situation and remember that you are in Adventure in the wild, therefore being a real adventure for some time, forget about luxury and comfort.
- Learn some basic stuff: Trekup India team will be happy to showcase some demos about pitching tents, crossing rivers and crawling in slopes etc. at a time be a good learner.
- Keep Hydrated & Energized: Whiletrekking, your body dehydrates however due to the cold or cool temperature one does not realize body sweating, so keep sipping on water to keep yourself hydrated. Time to time keep munching on dry fruits, chocolate, energy bars to re- gain your lost energy.
- Take a Break: It often happens that trekkers get overwhelmed and keep walking without taking a break, which leads to extortion of the body, hence remembering to take a break during the trek.
- Insurance: One should make a habit of exploring some travel / health insurances; it’s highly recommended that you should have your own insurance.
- Map & Compass: It’s a sign of a good adventurer, keeping knowledge of MAP and COMPASS, so when every on trek, revise your map and know compass reading.
10. What should you “NOT” do on Trek
- Carrying too much on trek: It’s always advisable to trek easy and light, don’t carry unnecessary stuff.
- Buying Wrong backpack: A first time trekker can get confused, hence make your own research and buy appropriate backpack.
- Inappropriate trek wear: Often some trekkers start trekking in Jeans, with a thought that it keeps them warm, perhaps its most uncomfortable wear on trek, so avoid it.
- Avoid less travelled routes:Try and stick to the path, do not take shortcuts or make your own path, maintain pace with the group member and if you still get lost or confused take your step back to the same path you have come until someone shows.
- Do not play loud music: Playing loud music creates disturbance to nature, Birds, wild animals, respect nature by taking a break from your electronic gadgets.
- Never wear your headphones: You might think playing loud music is not allowed so wear your headphones, no please avoid it as you need to be conscious and attentive to your surroundings.
- Never Drink & Smoke:Most of the time we have heard from trekkers where it is written or it’s their body so we will do what we want etc. All these guidelines set your well being, safety and one should understand the side effects of it.
- Don’t litter in Nature: Take your garbage back, leave the nature to its best as mentioned above and always keep in mind “Leave ONLY footprints, take ONLY memories”
- Don’t ever Ignore health: Our body is one and best machines on this planet, it gives off every sign and signals hence listen to your body and never ignore any health condition, immediately take precautions and discuss with your team members.
- Never Hike / trek in dark or at night: Always ensure to reach the final destination before sunset, as it could be dangerous trekking in Dark / nights, one might fall prey to wild animals, you may go astray from the right path.
- Take permission for a click: If you want to click photos of locals or any restricted area, take permission first and then click and never click while walking. You might fall down with serious injury, avoid staying in risky places, hence find a safe place, stop and click.
11. What good qualities a trekkers must have
Trekking is a sport activity and nowadays it’s gaining huge popularity, more people are moving towards nature in search of peace & tranquility. It’s a soft-adventure game including some walking and exploring the region and hence to be a good trekker you should inbuilt some of the following qualities in you.
- Taking care of his / her fitness and health
- Highly believes in sharing and caring
- Good team players as said trekking is a team hence one should believe in team spirit.
- Quick & Good learner
- Positive attitude – keeping positive is another important quality of a good trekker
- Healthy Eating – Good trekkers prefers healthy eating instead of heavy eating
- Kind towards nature and trek members
We are sure; this write-up will definitely be an asset for planning your adventure trip and will be proven a great guidance. We thank you for your time, please feel free to write us your suggestions and ask us a question.
Have a great time, have a great Adventure!!!