A Summit Trek In Uttrakhand | India's Top Most Winter Trek
Call Our Mountain Experts
Get Ready to trek the most popular and adventurous Kedarkantha Trek located in Uttarkashi, Uttrakhand, India. Fringed with pine trees and decked with the prettiness of snow, Peak is often considered the best snow-trekking destination across the globe. Located at an altitude of 12,500 ft. above sea level, the trek to this mountain pass in Uttarakhand provides diverse levels of challenges to the voyagers. If you want to experience nature at its best and enjoy a wonderful trek then this Winter Snow Trek is definitely for you. During the trek, you will pass through mesmerizing picturesque views, rich forests, fields as well as snow trails. You need to know that Kedarkantha Summit is nestled in Govind wild life National santuary Park of Uttarkashi. This beautiful peak is encircled by several scenic river valleys, this valley is also known as upper valley of garwal, remotely situated villages the villagers of these villages are living here since Mahabharat Period. Kedarkantha is considered as top most winter snow trek in India, beginners can also do this trek in the Himalayas that you need to experience at least once in your life. Best time to do this trek is from the first week of November to the last week of April, you can find a lot of snowfall here. The campsites of this trek are beautifull all camps are covered with snow after mid november.
Although every trek in the Himalayas is special and known for its own beauty. Trekking often gives you a dose of nature which is not possible in the cities and also offers you the chance to stretch your psychological & physical limits. This Trek is one of those treks in the Himalayas that induce you to witness the beauty of nature that too in its pure form. Right from snow-capped mountains, green pastures forest, frozen lake to a pleasing divine summit, it offers everything that you wish for as a trekker. The summit ascent of trek is extremely rewarding and sure to give you amazing memories. All these views are seen from the starting point Sankri base camp till summit.
As you begin your trek in the early hours of the morning and gradually climb up the steep hill, you will experience breathtaking nature views. Kedar Kantha is popular mainly as a winter trek that starts right from a famous village called Sankri. This beautiful village is almost 210km away from Dehradun.
Generally, in the mountains, winter is quite harsh when it comes to weather. When the snowfall begins, the temperature drops down to minus that further blocks several roads, making most areas unreachable. All these things often make trek exciting and popular because here you can actually experience what winter feels like in the mountains. The temperature here drops to 10 degrees at night and even less but remember such kind of temperature is bearable only with a bit of carefulness. This is the reason why several tourists head towards the base village of this trek called Sankri, especially in the month of December, January, February, and March each year.
The drive from Dehradun to mussoorie and to sankari is one of the most stunning and charming drive in the Himalayas. So, don’t forget to carry your camera. On the way, you will come across the paths filled with snow as well as meadows that are going to offer you a mesmerizing glimpse of the Himalayan Peaks. The silent and peaceful streams along with tranquil lakes are sure to treat all your trekking tiredness and give you a tenderness in nature. You can do ski, if you are good at doing skiing then make sure you try it during the Winter. Skiing will give you the chance to experience an amazing view of the medows of himalyas covered with snow. Get ready to experience the pleasant view that will definitely soothe your eyes because while trekking you will come across rich forests that are wailed with recent snowfals n month of december. Not only this, but the gentleness and kindness of the Local people will surely impress you. This Trek is also considered as the place of Shiva, the ancient Hindu Lord, this trek is no less than a paradise. Silence, as well as the peacefulness of this trek, gives you an amazing feeling and even make you fell like you are in heaven. The paradise sky sight, and sky-knocking mountains, are sure to give you a feeling like you are standing on the edge of the earth. When it comes to this trek, there are several mythological stories behind it. It is believed by the locals of sankri that kedarnath temple initially was here, However, local people still believe that Kedarkantha is the only place of the Lord Shiva Live. Even if you are new to trekking, This Trek is the best trek of all time. Get ready to explore the stunning beauty of the view from Burane range to Bandarpoonch 1 and 2 and in between, you will also get the wonderful sights of Rupin range, Har Ki Dun, Swaragrohini 1 to 4 as well as Black Peak, during your trek. Height and altitude of Kedarkantha Trek is 12,500 ft and is an achievable altitude for all beginners and first-time trekkers. If you are fond of trekking and want to experience nature at its best then do plan for this trek once.
Day 1: Pickup From Dehradun and drive to Sankri
Day 2: Trek from Sankri to Juda-ka-Talab
Day 3: Trekking from Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base (Lohasu)
Day 4: Early Morning Hike From Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha peak; descend to Hargaon camp
Day 5: Trek from Hargaon camp to Sankri
Day 6: After Having Last tae, coffee with us, Departure from Sankri to Dehradun
- Pickup Point – Dehradun Railway Station
- Pickup Time – 6.30 A.M
- Drop Point – Dehradun Railway Station
- Drop Time – 8 P.M on sixth day
What Mountain Expert Say
Shivam | Mountain Experts
Best time for Kedarkantha Trek
In the Indian Himalayas, the Kedarkantha trek is one of the few treks where you can trek any time of the year except July and August month because it is the rainy season of Uttarakhand. In summer, you will find mild weather here. This is the time when neighboring mountains are visible.
In case, you are planning the this trek during the monsoon then you have to face difficulties. During monsoon, landslides take place and lead to road blockage. Although it is going to be a little tireless but the himalayan medows view is definitely priceless of all your efforts.
In Winter, the trail remains covered with silver sheet. As a result, the trek becomes a little hard. During the winters, this trek turns out to be difficult and exciting at the same time. Make sure to carry your heavy woolens during the trek because the temperature drops.
Reasons Why Kedarkantha Trek is Must
This Trek is one of the famous winter treks that you should definitely go once, in your lifetime. Make sure to carry all your gears properly because the lovely snow-covered scenery and an adventurous summit climb can make anyone go weak in the knees. After March, the snow begins to retreat opening up the lavish green pasture beneath with colorful flowers thriving during the spring and summer seasons. Get ready to camp among the woodlands, deep in the dense forestry of the Govind Vihar National Park right in the Himalayas of Uttarakhand. You will also trek through the thick forest covered with Himalayan Coniferous trees. If you are a beginner then this trek is the right winter trek for you. During trekking, you will experience a perfect combination of beauty as well as adventure. Not only this, but you will also trek through the dense forests that are covered with ice completely. During the trek, you will learn to camp in clearings on thick mounts of snow. Be prepared because the summit climb will get your adrenaline kicking with the thick snow until and unless you reach the summit. During the winters, you will get the chance to experience fresh snowfall, high snow, and even extremely cold nights while trekking. Trekking on snow-covered mountains is really worthwhile. It is not only a classic winter trek but also one of the topmost & best winter treks in the entire Himalayas. The breathtaking views of nature are strictly reserved for the trekkers who make the effort. The sight is so amazing that you will forget for your entire life. From the top, the views are marvelous and beyond your expectations. You will not only see the popular peaks such as Gangotri, Bandarpoonch, Kalanag, Yamunotri, and Swargarohini range but several other unnamed peaks. Trek has the most attractive campsites in the Himalayas such that no trekking place can ever match up the beauty of this winter snow trek. Each of the campsites present in this trek is unique and offers mesmerizing views of the landscape. There is a charm in this world, you just need to be in the right place for experiencing it. This trek embraced with beauty which gives the photographers a perfect chance to capture some eye-catchy pictures of nature. Every frame appears just like a postcard image.
Mountain Expert Tips
Route Map, Temprature And Rain Fall Charts
Day Wise Detailed Itinerary
Day 1: Pickup From Dehradun and drive to Sankri
- Sankri is located at an altitude of 1920 meters and 6,400 feet.
- Dehradun to Sankri 220km drive which will take almost 10 hours.
- All the trekkers will be pickuped from Hotel garand which is near Dehradun Railway station at 6:30 AM in a Bolero (6-7 seaters), Innova (7 seaters), Tempotravellers (12 seaters) & Bus.
- You will be reaching at Sankri till 05 in the evening.
- BSNL network is not good.
- Night stay in guest house and hotel.
Your trip will start from Dehradun for the Kedarkantha Winter Snow Trek. All the trekkers need to arrive at Dehradun before 6 am because till 06:30 am, we will start our drive to Sankri.
You need to know that the distance between Dehradun to Sankri is almost 220km which will take approximately 10 hours to reach. Sankri is located on the National Highway 123 and is a beautiful drive. While driving from Dehradun to Sankri, you will be spell-bounded with the beauty of valleys as well as forests.
Before reaching Sankri about 22km, all the trekkers will get an amazing feeling of serene Himalayas as well as greenery. You will also come across Govind National Park which is well-known for its huge collection of Flora. In this park, you will find the Flora which is available only in this region and nowhere else in the country.
Day 2: Trek from Sankri to Juda-ka-Talab
- On this day we will to 9100 ft from 6400 ft.
- Trekking for 4km will take 2.5 long hours.
- The path will pass through maple trees, oak forests, water streams, and stunning meadows.
- Night stay in tents (twin sharing).
On day 2, you will begin the trek towards Juda Ka Talab which is located at an altitude of 9,100 feet. Till afternoon, you will cover almost 5km which takes 5 hours but this can also vary on the capability of the trekker.
Get ready to experience the diverse adventures on the trail. While walking, ice and slush might bother you a little but the guides of TrekupIndia will help you out so don’t worry.
The trek will start with a beautiful pine & maple forest that will further rise alongside the wildlife as well as pastures. As you trail upwards, you will spot some beautiful huts alongside the fields.
While trekking, you will see a goliath lake on the left and thick pine & oak backwoods on the other side which is a perfect example of beauty. You will get the Luke warm water all around the lake and the rest water will be colder.
In winters, you can see a sheet of ice instead of water, giving you an eye-catchy view. This lake also has a big natural tunnel that offers water to the villagers.
Primarily, you will be climbing through the bridges and one of the exciting things about this trek is that you will find Himalayan Languor. You need to know that they are shy animals and hardly anyone gets the chance to see them.
You might also witness boars, hares as well as martens in this region. Juda Ka Tal is a beautiful destination in the thick pine and oak forest. At night, you will be served with hot & healthy dinner. Your night stay will be scheduled in a camp where you can enjoy the beauty of Mother Nature’s lap.
Day 3: Trekking from Juda-ka-Talab to Kedarkantha Base (Lohasu)
- today we will trek to 11250 ft from a height of 9100 ft.
- Trekking for 4kms which will take time of 2.5 hours.
- Most of the trail is on a ride and under the beautiful oak trees
- You will be passing through some pastures where shepherd log huts can be seen.
- Night stay in tents (twin sharing), giving amazing views of nature.
Get up early in the morning and witness the breathtaking sunrise that will definitely leave you stunned. On day 3, we will begin the trek for Kedar Kantha base which is located at a height of 11,250 feet.
Kedar Kantha Base from Jadu Ka Talab is almost 4kms and it takes 2.5 hours to cover at a moderate speed. You need to know that Jadu Ka Talab is a wonderful lake that is surrounded by pine trees that often gets freeze at the time of winters and also turns out to be a spot for adventures as well as fun activities for the trekkers.
Gradually, the trail will get steeper as you keep on moving upwards. Your trek guide will teach you different skills for snow slopes, so be attentive and listen to him carefully. He might also guide you about how big your footsteps should be.
Your trekking will again start from the dense forest of pine and oak trees. The trail also passes through the steep ridges. As you gradually walk towards the path and reach a height of 10,400 feet, you will witness the snow traces that will definitely give you magnificent views of nature.
Get ready because the spectacular views are still waiting to shock the trekkers because before reaching the base camp all the trekkers can observe the stunning views of different arc-shaped ranges that are covered with snow like Bandarpoonch, Swargarohini, Kala Nag as well as Ranglana that are standing with great pride in the lap of Mother Nature.
At night, you will be served with delicious dinner in your tents only.
Day 4: Early Morning Hike From Kedarkantha base to Kedarkantha peak; descend to Hargaon camp
- We Will WakeUp Early Mornig for the summit push / peak.
- Trekking for almost 7 hours for 6kms trek
- You will see sun rise if we reach on time to summit
- Served with lip-smacking lunch at the camp base only
- After lunch, descending towards Hargaon
- For snacks time we will reach Our next Campsite Hargaun
- Night stay will be organized in tents (twin sharing).
Day 4 is going to be a long one because you will be heading towards the Kedar Kantha peak. Today, you will be trekking from 11,250 feet to 12,500 feet and trek for almost 6kms which will be covered in 7 hours. It is necessary for you to know that the trail will be steeper, so be prepared accordingly.
At the time of trekking, you will see the magical colors of nature as well as the majestic sights of different ranges including Rupin. The reason for calling it Kedar Kantha, rumors from villagers is; 1st they tried to build Kedarnath temple in that peak but they heard some animal’s sound which means omen for a divine event.
Till then they constructed Lord Shiva’s statue till neck ad in Hindi neck is called Kanth as well as Lord Shiva has a lot of names and Kedar is one of them. This is the reason, why it is known as Kedarkantha.
In Kedar Kantha peak, you can treat your eyes with appealing views of Bandarpooch, Swargarohini, Kalanaag, Gangotri as well as Yamunotri. After reaching the summit, the captivating views of nature will definitely balance your emotion and leave you stunned.
On the top, you will also find a small temple which is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati along with a small shrine of Lord Ganesh too. Apart from this, we will also start descending to Hargaon camp on the same day.
A night stay will be scheduled at the campsites, giving you beautiful views of valleys and nature.
Day 5: Trek from Hargaon camp to Sankri
- Returning back from Hargaon camp (8,900 feet) to Sankri (6,400 feet)
- Trekking for 6kms which will take almost 4 hours
- Descend 2,500 feet through dense pine woodlands
Day 5 is marked for descending further to Sankri from Hargaon Camp. We will be descending from 8900 feet to 6400 feet. The time for descending the 6kms long trail will take almost 4 hours and even more if you follow a moderate speed.
The day has arrived when you need to leave the regal views of the Himalayas as well as snowcapped mountain ranges because we will be heading back to Sankri. It is important for you to know that the trek is going to simple as the distance is short.
Sankri is the stoppage village for several treks like Bali pass, Borasu pass, and many more. The morning at Hragaon camp is going to welcome you with a stunning sunrise right between the pine trees.
After having breakfast, you will pack your back and start descending through a clearly marked paved pathway and reach Sankri.
Day 6: After Having Last tae, coffee with us, Departure from Sankri to Dehradun
- Back to Dehradun which is 220km from Sankri.
- The drive will take almost 8 to 10 hours but, on the way, you will come across beautiful scenes.
- By Tata Sumo or any other vehicle, you will be dropped at Dehradun Railway Station.
On day 6, you will be heading towards Dehradun from Sankri which will take almost 10 hours as you need to cover 220km. You will be leaving Sankri early in the morning so that by evening you reach Dehradun.
By 7 – 8 pm in the evening, you will be reaching Dehradun, so get your bookings done for your hometown accordingly.
Make sure to collect all your memories while driving back to Dehradun.
Food Provided by Us During the Kedarkantha Trek
We provide only Indian vegetarian food and mainly your meal is going to contain Indian bread, vegetable, lentils and Rice along with delicious dessert. During your trek, we will serve three meals a day including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In the evening, you will also be served tea & snacks and lip-smacking soup before dinner. If it will be a long day of trekking, you will be given a packed snack.
After doing a lot of research on the nutritional requirements for the trekkers, we prepare the menu. Before putting all the meals together, we also consider altitude gained and weather.
The meal served by us while trek is perfectly balanced with the right amounts of calories, carbohydrates, vitamins, protein, fiber, and minerals. You need to know that all our cooks have great expertise in cooking and have undergone thorough training. So, get ready to enjoy delectable and lip-smacking dishes during your trek. You will be served with lemon tea in the tent in order to start your day with a refreshed feeling. Before leaving the campsite for trekking, you will be given a hot finger-licking breakfast like upma, Aallu Prantha, Besan Chilla, Poha, Daliya, Corn flakes, Maggie, along with tea or coffee.
In case, your trek will be longer one then we also offer some fresh local fruits such as apples and even healthy drinks like Frootie or Maaza. In the afternoon, you will be served simple & healthy lunch, while at around 04:00 pm, you will be given tea and a light evening breakfast. After you reach your campsite at night, you will be served a hot and delightful dinner. After reading this, you must have got the idea about the food provided by us on trek, you don’t need to worry about food. Many trekkers trek with us again and again because of the food we provide. Thus, we will definitely give you unforgettable experiences.
Safety During Kedarkantha Trek
Trekking with us for kedarkantha trek is completely safe because we have a team of trek leaders who are qualified in Wilderness first-aid and also have complete information about the high-altitude glitches. During Trek, we carry a complete first-aid kit that contains all the important medicines. Before trekking with us, you need to ensure that you are medically fit for the trek and if you are able to judge yourself then it is better to take advice from a professional. For us, your medical fitness is very important than anything else.
Know About Us:- You need to know that our company Trekup India has been in the field of Adventure Tourism for the last 23 years. Right from our inception, we have been involved in providing treks, voyage & hiking programs as well as high altitude expedition rafting.
We keep on organizing treks in Uttarakhand and Himachal, while being a part of the trekking community, we feature more than 75 Himalayan documented treks. Apart from other outdoor activities, our company also organizes trips for schools, colleges, and family.
We ensure complete technical safety in the mountain
Our company has a vast team of more than 100 guides, as well as trainers in order, serve in the mountain treks. One of the best things about our team is that all the members are trained professionally from Nehru Institute of Mountaineering, Indian mountaineering foundation Delhi as well as Hanifle Center Outdoor Education Mussoorie.
Therefore, we never believe in compromising on the quality as well as services offered to our valuable customers.
For Us, Your Safety Is the Top Priority
At Trekup India, you will find a team with local knowledge and fluency in English as well as Hindi. This helps in ensuring that you have an amazing trek and not only this, we also pay attention to your health as well as safety because this is something we cannot ignore. All the team leaders involved in trekking have already undergone several professional courses in First Aid, Portable Altitude Chamber Training, CPR, Environmental Awareness Training as well as Advanced Wilderness Emergency Medicine.
We also carry a complete first aid medical kit not only on the trek but on each and every trip which is organized by us. Apart from the medical kit, we carry a portable altitude chamber and medical oxygen for all kinds of high-altitude treks . Our company has great expertise in organizing all sorts of group adventure holidays for family groups, school & college groups as well as friend groups. When it comes to travel options, we have a wide range that suits different fitness levels as well as traveling styles.
Therefore, no matter who big the group size, we pay personal attention to each and every member present in the group.
How We Ensure That Your Trek Is Safe with Us
Right from our establishment, we at Trekup India, are continuously involved in introducing new safety practices into Indian trekking in order to ensure the safety of voyagers. For walking on snow, Trekpp India introduced Microspikes and also made emergency bottled oxygen mandatory for all kinds of treks. In order to test pulse as well as oxygen saturation levels, pulse oxymeters are used. As a safety communication device, we at TrekupIndia introduced radio.
Though we have noticed that most of the organizations organizing treks do not follow these systems but with time several competing companies are adopting these practices and organizing great and safe treks.
Explore our New Safety Protocols
In order to ensure a perfect Trek, we have introduced some new safety checks that will assure more safety for our trekkers. Our On-trek safety checks includes:
- Daily oxygen saturation along with pulse readings
- Stretchers team appointed on every trek
- Trained mountain staff and full safety
- Additional oxygen cylinders
- Special medical kit for high altitude treks
- Microspikes on all types of snow treks
- Experienced Trek leaders as well as safety
- Technical team on all snowy slopes
What should you pack for the Kedarkantha Trek?
Being an trekking, adventure & travel company, we get many questions from our trekkers and most common question that arises is what to carry or what should we pack for the trek? Sometime it becomes difficult to explain in details and therefore below we have prepared the detailed packing list, helpful for all trekkers coming to the Himalayas. Whenever we go on trek or start packing things one should remember the packing pattern i.e. either you start from head to foot or foot to head, this way there will be rare chance that you will forget the items to pack, so go step by step.
Make sure your backpack should be comfortable neither too big nor to small and for a week trek 60-70 liters of backpack should be enough to hold all your belongings. Ensure that your backpack has good hip & Shoulder support and pockets should be accessible quickly.
All trekkers should keep in mind that daypack is very important, this will be a great help to you while on trek, also every single day you won’t be carrying you backpack therefore for day excursion , shorter hikers, sightseeing you can carry your stuff in it.
- Trekking shoes: Preferably water proof, ankle support.
- Walking / Hiking sandals: This can be used off trek i.e. in the morning and evening hours, basically to get your feet rest from heavy boots, sometime used for crossing streams and rivers, it’s more comfortable and safe than crossing barefoot or wetting your boots.
- Sneakers (Optional): For normal driving days or can use around the camp
- Socks (3-4 Pairs) – Make sure to choose material wisely, it should be quick drying, warm and comfortable.
- Hiking / trekking jacket: Carry good quality layer jackets
- Hiking pants: Check some kind of long nylon blend, light and quick drying pants. Warm covers ups like fleece-lined tracksuit pants or ski pant.
- Undergarments as per your habitual requirement
- T-Shirts and Shorts (3-4 Warm comfortable)
- Ordinary Shirt / T-shirt – Just in case everything gets wet this will help for roaming around.
- Long Sleeve shirt – can be used as a base layer on colder days
- Socks – at least 4-5 pairs
- Leggings – Can be used specially chilling morning and evening , to keep your body warm
- Thermals – get 2 pairs of thermals, this will be great need a body to keep it warm.
- Buff / Balaclava – This is a must to carry to cover your neck and this item is an ideal solution to keep your neck / throat warm.
- Beanie Cap- Very helpful item for colder and windy days should carry 1, also sometime when its freezing cold you can use it a night as well.
- Hiking Hat- this will basically help during the day time specially from the sun rays, make sure it has a strip so that wind does not below is far from your headJ..
- Gloves – 01 pair will be enough to keep your hand warm and nice.
- Rain wears
- Rain Coat and Pant – Carry a pair of it to protect you from the rain OR
- Rain Poncho – during long rains, the waterproof jackets starts leaking but poncho does get work in keeping you dry, so choose accordingly.
- Rain covers: Some small water proof to cover your backpack and daypack as well for your gadgets.
- Gadgets and Electronic
- Trekking Poles
- Mobile phone
- Spare batteries for phone and camera, powerbank
- Light weight flash light or headlight
- Waterproof bag made up of plastic for camera
- Music system / Bluetooth
- Plug/converter for electrical items
- 1 liter water bottle
- Journal with pen would be good idea to keep your notes.
- Some book of your interest for ideal time
- Get into habit of keeping Map and guide book of the region.
- Hygiene & Personal toiletry
- Sunscreen with UV protection
- 1 or 2 small quick-drying towels
- Toilet paper/tissues/wet-wipes
- Toothbrush/toothpaste/ mouth freshener
- Deodorant / Talcum powder
- Sanitary pads/tampons (For female traveler)
- Bio gradable Soap
- Nail clipper
- Your other personal items that you use on daily basis
- Personal First aid Kit and Energy – below are some common medicine generally required / used during your adventure trip, however please consult your doctors prior.
- Antiseptic towel or water syringe (to clean the wound)
- Butterfly bandage for small cut
- Cotton and elastic bandages and sterile gauze pad for larger wounds
- Latex gloves used when its wound bleeds
- Medicine for Diarrhea (Upset stomach)
- Medicine for cold, flue / fever headache
- Some pain killers
- ORS pouches
- Quick pain relief spray (External use)
- Any personal medicine prescribed by your doctor
- Dimox / Similar for high altitude sickness
- Bug Repellent
- Carry some nutria / energy bars and drinks (non-alcoholic)
Note: Kindly consult your doctor before purchasing or taking any medicine.
9.Compulsory Documents to Carry
These are files needed to be submitted at Forest Department before ypur trek. With no of these, you will not be permitted to trek .Original and photocopy of government photo identity card. Carry Id’s like adhaar, voter id, etc.
Important note: You can book rent gears, what you can rent & buy from us and what you need to get from your home town, make your bagpack easy not heavy.
Click the link: https://www.trekupindia.com/rent-trekking-gears
Now you are all set for your Adventure trip with Trekup India!!
Trek Cost Inclusion
- Stay is included on all days of the trek ( from Sankari to Sankri ). In tents doubble sharing only and in guest house on sharing basis.
- Guesthouse stay will be at sankari and on other days you will be staying in tents.
- Transport charges from Dehradun to Sankari and return from Sankari to Dehradun.
- All meals from Sancks & dinner at Sankari on Day 1 to tea, coffee on Day 6 are included. Meals are simple, nutritious and vegetarian.
- All the trek equipment will be included like a sleeping bag, kitchen & dining tent, utensils, mattress, tent, toilet tent, and crampon (if needed).
- Note:- Tents and sleeping bags are custom made of Trekup India which are tested on high altitudes by our mountain expert trek team.
- First aid medical kits, oxygen cylinder as well as stretcher.
- Check our on trek safety protocol here.
- All the needed forest entry fees along with permits.
- Your trek will be led by a trained, experienced professional guides and trek leaders with a solid guiding background, times of particular nature and trekking experience, medical certifications, and a passion for leading people into breathtaking terrains.
Trek Cost Exclusion
- All kinds of personal expenditures are excluded.
- Anything that we have not mentioned avobe.
- The trek cost is not inclusive of meals bought during the journey on 1st day and last day. ( Food starts from dinner at base camp on day first till last day breakfast ).
- Mules or porter charges to carry private baggage (Offload Charges for bag 500 per day, per bag. Note: bag weight should not be more than 11 kg.
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
How To Reach Sankri Base Camp?
- Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport to reach Dehradun by flight that is located almost 25km away from the city. You can find regular flights from Delhi to Dehradun.
- However, if you are planning to reach Dehradun by flight then it is better to come one day in advance.
In case, you want to reach Dehradun from Delhi by train then two express trains are quite convenient. With the train, it is an overnight journey. The two trains are mentioned below:
- Nandadevi Express - Train no: 12205 (Departure 11:50pm; Arrival - 5:40am)
- Dehradun Express - Train no: 12687 (Departure - 9:10pm; Arrival - 5:00am)
From Delhi, you can find a regular bus service for Dehradun. ISBT Kashmere Gate is the main bus station in Delhi from where you will find both ac and non-ac buses for Dehradun.
However, it is always better to take government buses from Kashmere Gate ISBT. The bus will drop you at Dehradun ISBT and then we will send our staff who will pick you up from Dehradun Railway Station, so you need to reach there.
- At 06:00 am, Tata Sumo or any other vehicle like this will only pick you up from Dehradun Railway Station.
- By 04:00 pm, you will be reaching Sankri.
Other Treks Like KEDARKANTHA
Kedarkantha Trek FAQ
Where is Kedarkantha Trek Located?
It is located in pretty small Himalayan village Sankari in Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand, India.
How to reach the main pickup location of Kedarkantha Trek i.e. Dehradun?
Please see the info below:- Nearest Airport: Jollygrant Airport, Dehradun Nearest Railway Station: Dehradun Railway Station Nearest Bus Stand: ISBT, Dehradun Bus Stand
How to reach start point of the trek i.e. Sankari?
Normally, Trekup India provides good transportation facilities from Dehradun to Sankari & Back. If you want to use other public mode of transportation than, there are Uttarakhand road ways buses from Dehradun. There are 2-3 daily buses depart in the morning hours only starting at 0530-0730 Hrs, do check and re-confirm the timings from sources.
How many days is Kedarkantha Trek?
it is 5 Nights and 06 Days and this is recommended duration, in order to complete your trek comfortably with proper acclimatization.
How difficult is Kedarkantha Trek?
It is easy to Moderate Trek and one can easily attempt and conquer the Summit. But remember to start some exercise before your trek and you rapidly gain altitude in this trek. Hence you must be physically fit.
How Long is Kedarkantha Trek?
The total trek distance is approx 20-22 Kms and amazing Himalayan trail with mesmerizing landscape, with mind blowing sunrise and 360 degree Himalayan view.
Is Kedarkantha good for beginners?
Yes, off course Kedarkantha trek is an easy to moderate trek and beginners can easily attempt the same, however keep oneself physically fit with 4-5 Kms daily walk and exercise.
What is Best time for do Kedarkantha Trek?
October –April is considered to be Best time, however if you are a snow lover than Mid Nov to Feb, during December you get abundant
What Kedarkantha Trek is Famous for?
There are many unique highlights about Kedarkantha Trek, below are some major points. - Its one of the best and safe snow trek - Its offers 360 degree snow capped peaks - It involves night trekking Experience - The summit offers breath taking sunrise view - Its also believed lord shiv used to meditate here and as per locals original Kedarnath temple was to be built here. - Also, the pretty small village of Sankari it’s unique for up keeping its tradition & Culture.
Which are the Himalayan peaks visible from Kedarkantha Summit?
As the summit offers 360 Degree Himalayan view, below are some of the peaks visible: - Nanda Ghunti, Swargarohini peak, Kalang Peak, Yumnotri ranges, Bandarpunch Mountains, Draupadi ka Danda, Rupin valley, Harkidoon Valley and many more.
Where do we keep our extra luggage, when on trek?
Trekup India provides Luggage store room in Sankari, hence trekkers can leave behind their extra luggage; however ensure that no valuable items or electronic Gadgets are left behind.
How Much Does Kedarkantha Trek Cost?
To be very frank and honest today there are hundreds of operators and hence many rates are selling in the market for this trek from 4000-10000 Per Person, secondly choosing rates means choosing your services. If you are expecting trusted services than 6000-6500 are good rates for this trek along with transportation from Dehradun to Dehradun. Pick you travel agent wisely, don’t feel prey of online frauds.
How to choose right Trek operator for Kedarkantha Trek?
We always advise you not to fall prey of online frauds, therefore ensure the trek operator is at least registered with State Tourism Board. Rest you can also ask if they have affiliation from Organization like (Adventure Tour Operator Association of India-ATOAI), (Indian Mountaineering Foundation of India – IMF) and Ministry of Tourism (MOI).
How much luggage should be we carry for Kedarkantha Trek?
Carry only essential items, do not over burden yourself a backpack of 60-70 liters should be quite enough, your backpack should not exceed 9-10 KG.
What is luggage off loading charges on Kedarkantha Trek?
Trekup India, provides you off loading facilities and it costs approx 450-500 Per bag Per day, weight not exceeding 9 Kg. You can book the same when you arrive in Sankari after meeting our Base Camp manager / Trek leaders.
Is there Extra luggage Store room available in Kedarkantha Trek?
Trekup India provides, luggage store facilities at their accommodation in Sankari, remember not leave any valuable items or electronic gadgets in your left luggage and it should have proper locking system.
Is there any network in Kedarkantha Trek? Which sim Card works better?
Currently Jio network is working quite good in Sankari, no network will be available beyond Sankari.
What should we pack for Kedarkantha Trek?
. You can follow the link for complete packing list: Things to pack
How should we prepare for Kedarkantha Trek?
Start your daily walk / run 4-5 Kms a day with some regular Exercise, make breathing exercise mandatory. Quite smoking and alcohol right away.
What temperature we can expect on Kedarkantha Trek?
December- January are coldest months during Day time 10-15 Degree Celsius and during night time upto -4 Degree Celsius.
Is Kedarnath and Kedarkantha Same trek?
No, both are different located in totally different location, Kedarnath is a Yatra Trip and Kedarkantha is a proper Trek. Kedarnath comes in Rudrapryag district and Kedarkantha comes in Uttarkashi both falls in Uttarakhand state.